People and Planet are the foundations of our existence. We take good care of all our employees and supplier’s employees, striving to protect and nurture the environment in every single step we take. We fully commit to give more back than we take. We vow not to pollute and leave waste behind aiming for our existence and products to be safe for humans, animals and the environment.
We have high standards for how our products impact the environment, the people involved in the manufacturing and the people using our products. Apart from having a high focus on certifications we frequently complete thorough checkups on all suppliers to ensure fair and happy working conditions whilst making sure that their practices live up to our high standards of sustainability.
Global Organic Textile Standardmore info ▸
Global Organic Textile Standard
One of the most extensive certifications. It certifies that bleach, formaldehyde and other toxic substances are not used in the production process, from farming to end product. It also provides a guarantee of social standards with a safe working environment and fair pay.
Bluesignmore info ▸
Certifies a safe and sustainable ecological impact where harmful substances are eliminated throughout the whole proces. Safe for the manufacturers and the consumers.
Responsible Wool Standardmore info ▸
Responsible Wool Standard
This certification ensures good practices of sheep farmers where the sheep are treated with respect and the land and environment is well managed and protected. All wool from RWS certified farms is thoroughly identified and tracked.
Global Recycled Standardmore info ▸
Global Recycled Standard
The GRS certification sets a standard for verified and traceable recycled content. But apart from that it also ensures good social and environmental practices. The social responsibilities reduces the negative impact on people and certifies that the ILO convention is followed. The environmental responsibilities certifies restrictions in the use of harmful chemicals.
OEKOTEX 100more info ▸
Certifies that the material has been tested for more than 100 different substances that are known to be harmful for human health.
SANEmore info ▸
- We choose manufacturers who manage waste and have goals to recycle more and limit waste
- We compost our food waste at our office
- We send batteries to a recycling facility
- We send paper to be recycled for our packaging boxes
- Cardboard, glass, plastics and metals are being recycled at a facility nearby our office
- We collect all our fabric waste from in house and from our manufacturers. These are sorted in colours and when we have a certain amount we have an agreement with a re-spinning mill in Java, Indonesia, to produce new yarn and fabric from the leftovers
- We choose manufacturers that manage water consumptions and have goals to lower the consumptions and recycle water
- We choose manufacturers that manage emissions and have goals to reduce their emissions footprints
- We carbon offset every year for the Scope 1 and 2 emissions
- We use carbon neutral shipment in Europe and the USA
- We choose manufacturers that manage chemicals and have goals to reduce the use of harmful chemicals
- We choose manufacturers that manage their energy consumption and have goals to use more renewable energy
WHAT DOES IT MEAN AND HOW DO WE CALCULATE IT?
The sustainability score is our way to calculate how big a percentage of the product is sustainable. We calculate it by splitting up the different materials used for the product. Each material is rated on it’s sustainability.
THESE ARE THE CRITERIAS WE USE FOR MEASURING HOW SUSTAINABLE EACH MATERIAL IS:
- How is the energy and greenhouse gas intensity?
- How easily can the product be recycled?
- How biodegradable is the product?
- Does it contain any chemicals?
- Are there any negative environmental impacts (Harvest and production)?
- Does production impact the workers negatively?
- Does production impact the community negatively?
All recycled materials start as a rule on 100% sustainability if it is properly recycled and if the recycling process isn't polluting. Transport of raw material and finished material is not included in our measurement. At last, scores from each of the impact materials are combined using a weighted average approach. And from this we derive our sustainability percentage score.
In 1 People we believe in social responsibility and businesses both have the capacity and responsibility to contribute to a better tomorrow for more people and the planet. Besides an extreme and dedicated planet-centric approach to how we do business, we also have dedicated ourselves to strongly contributing to poverty eradication. This is why we use a fair amount of our profits on three big projects - Our own Business for Planet program. This is an educational platform where we mentor, educate and fund social entrepreneurs with a people and planet mindset. Our goal is to create more impact-driven entrepreneurs who will create more impact-driven businesses. Another project is ‘Youth Education’ where we donate to schools so more children and young people can get a good education. The last project is ‘Feed the Hungry’, which is not solving the poverty problem, but it helps when people are pushed over the edge and into poverty and starvation.
We fully support UNs SDGs.
We have analysed where we can
contribute the most:
NO POVERTYmore info ▸
- 1 People’s why is: “We want to end poverty, through fair business practices.” That’s why our business model is all about economic development in less developed countries and wherever needed
- A part of our manufacturers are small scale suppliers and manufacturers. In this way we support and provide entrepreneurship opportunities. All manufacturers are also environmentally friendly and with good labour practices, so we are not the cause of destruction of natural resources or exploitation of people.
- We check all our products environmental impact and use third-party certifications (GOTS, STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®, RWS, GRS and bluesign)
- It’s important for us that we support our local communities, as these are the foundations of supporting homes for this we are very grateful. We support local charity projects and during hard times we have handed out food packages with basic groceries and household necessities for the nearby community. For our company lunch we are buying all vegetables, fruits, meat and coffee beans from local farmers in Indonesia.
- We are never satisfied with status quo and always want to improve. That is why we set action plans and goals
- We always practise good governance and comply with all local laws and regulations
- Our supplier Code of Conduct includes no child labour and health and safety policies
more info ▸
- Our Job growth rate for 2020 has been 44%
- We would never take advantage of our employees, which is why we pay them the appropriate living wage. Our lowest-paid employee is paid 10% above the national set minimum wage. We also hire employees with low-income educations. All employees have government-controlled pension and health care. We do not don’t employ children, all employees have regular skills training, and are given 30 days of paid leave.
- We have a comprehensive Supplier Code of Conduct which covers areas such as working hours, freedom of association, collective bargaining, human rights and child labour
- Around 40% of our manufacturers are located in Indonesia
more info ▸
- We have a constant focus on our ecological footprint. Our overall goal for doing business is to give more to the Earth than what we take. We only use materials that are environmentally sustainable. We think about a product's life from start to end and use materials that harm the Earth as little as possible. Our manufacturers all have environmental and social management. We check this through their actions but also their certifications.
- We sort and recycle our waste. Throughout manufacturing we use recycling and upcycling.
- We support and guide sustainable production at our manufacturers.
- We have events where we communicate and educate about sustainability.
more info ▸
- We practice corporate accountability. We are always ethical in our decision making, pay our taxes, stand against corruption and have a high degree of transparency.
- We have a supplier Code of Conduct which includes no tolerance to bribery, corruption, and fraud. It also focusses on health and safety, fair working hours, no child labour and freedom of association. To uphold this we do audits and follow their certifications.
- We purchase fair- and direct trade from small-scale underserved suppliers in Indonesia.
Work In Progress
We will be launching a secondhand program and shop where we buy back used 1 People products and make it possible for our customers to buy secondhand products or exchange used products
Have a yearly CSR Report made which will be published on the website
B Corp certification
We have a pending B Corp Certification
100% cruelty free
We are working on becoming 100% Cruelty Free. At the moment we are 92% Cruelty Free.
We are working on launching our FairShop, which is an online sustainable marketplace. We operate as a people and planet centric brand a ‘one-stop-shop’ for the conscious consumer. Our dedication to transparency of the supply chain is unparalleled.
BUSINESS FOR PLANET
Business For Planet is now in its final stages and will launch very soon
Our measurable impact and commitment to sustainable luxury spans across over 200 product categories in fashion and lifestyle. 1 People pieces prioritises longevity without compromises, enabling conscious-minded women to stay stylish in an ethical, high-quality fashion.
These projects will change the lives of millions of people, giving them a much better chance in life and a better chance to get a good and safe job with an income they can live from, but also give them a better chance to not only survive but to also give back to their own family and the community. In that way, it becomes an upward spiral of positive and impactful development. We want to spread out this people and the planet-friendly way to run a business and show that businesses can be a force for good.
Business for Planet is a free global educational programme. We believe that by educating social conscious and environmental focussed entrepreneurs we are creating a conscious way of doing business. This is how we believe our impact for positive change in the world will happen fast and responsibly.
Youth Education is our support to giving proper education to young people. This is where a lot of the change starts. With a good solid education the young people are equipped with the knowledge and means to get an economically stable life.
Feed The Hungry is our short term solution to hunger, which unfortunately still is a necessity for many people around the world. If you don’t have food to eat you cannot grow, neither mentally nor physically.
All programs from us
AT OUR MANUFACTURERS
We care for all people who get in contact with our products: from field to end-user. Therefore we very carefully select our partners and make sure that the working conditions at their facilities are exemplary.